Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Moving

It looks like we'll be moving come March.

Robb's finding it difficult to get work out here, and we are getting behind on our bills. It's kind of sucky, but things are picking up. We found a cheaper (albeit smaller) apartment that we're going to look at today. It's over $300 less a month, so we're pretty excited about that. We'll have to get rid of a lot of stuff, but it's not the end of the world. It looks like a nicer place, even if it is smaller. It's got laminate flooring all throughout, it's on the 3rd floor, so no one above us making noise! All in all, I think this will be a good move.

We're also thinking of more ways to save money each month. Here's what we've come up with:

* Cheaper rent costs
* Cancel my phone and get a cheaper plan
* Define a meal plan and stick to it - find cheap recipes and make our own bread (plus, mmm fresh bread!)
* Combine our phone and internet for a lower bill

We're also going to try to sell a lot of our stuff. Things we never use that are just taking up space in closets can be sold or, at least, given away.

I'm excited, and have already started organizing and packing. I won't have any room in the new place for sewing, so I'm a little bummed about that, but I'm not really sewing much anyway. I'd like to, it's finding the time. :/

Anyway, babies are getting fussy. Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. By combining internet and phone, do you mean something like Skype? Or that Miracle Jack thing (as seen on TV and in Memory Express is where I first saw it, haha)?

    One way John and I save but splurge is that we find chicken wing deals. It fits our diet, as well. We've also started couponing (there's entire shows devoted to how insane some people are about it), but I don't think we're going to ever get as hardcore as some people.

    You'll find ways to get by... =)

    Best of luck to all of you, and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no, I meant, combining our home phone and internet on to one bill. It won't be a lot cheaper, but some.

    We use coupons too. There are a lot of site out there that you can get coupons from. It's easier to coupon in the states - I'll see if I can find you the blog about the guy who coupons so much he gets his $300 grocery trips for free (or sometimes even profit!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good grief, I've seen it! I stare in disbelief... it's not fair. I can never do something like that because I don't want to be "THAT GUY." O.o

    But I do use the occasional coupons so that I can get my almond milk for cheaper, haha.

    Another way to get things cheaper (at least for a bit) is to talk to the phone companies, for example. John is ... really good at this. It's freaky. He'll say something like... "Look, I'm paying too much for ______, _____ is offering this, what can you offer me?" MOST times, people will make some sort of deal (maybe for a year or so) to keep your business. You can use coaxing like, "I've been with the company for so many years" or something, too. Or, "I honestly don't want to leave, but..."

    I dunno. The way John does it seems special. We're paying like... 80 bucks a month for phone/high-speed internet/cable through Shaw, he knocked his company's phone bill down $200 a month, and he talked me into going to Wind for our cellphones (we pay $40 a month for unlimited everything) ...

    He's... he's so ... Asian...

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I totally want to be THAT guy, if it gets me free groceries! the only coupons I find online are like... for cleaning products. Sheesh!

    We are paying about 70$ a month for internet and phone through different providers. It looks like if we switch to one, it'll be about 56$ a month, which is good. We don't want cable though, so that makes it easy!

    Another thing we're doing is going to the store and only buying the things that are on sale. It puts variety in the things you eat, and is a lot cheaper. Like, if one week pasta sauce is on sale and a week or two noodles are on sale, you'll be eating a lot of spaghetti, but at least you're eating!

    Thanks for the advice :)

    ReplyDelete